A good sale to Bangkok in Premium Economy. This price at $795. However, if you buy this on American Airlines Vacations, you will save about $70 and earn more miles and elite qualifying dollars. American Airlines Vacations has a sub-par website, so follow our instructions below.
Mileage upgrade to Business is 25,000 miles each way + $350. Upgrade only for Dallas – Tokyo or Tokyo – Dallas
We do have one caveat though, not all dates found on Google Flights will price on American Airlines Vacations. If not, try a different date. Doesn’t happen often, but it does. Just want you to be mindful of that.
(Originally sent to our Premium subscribers on August 14th, 2021)
Sample Travel Date:
- This is just ONE SAMPLE travel date, for more availability, please follow the “Fare Availability” and “How to Search for Availability” instructions below
- Valid for travel from January 2021 – early May 2021. A 3 day minimum stay is required. Availability is limited. Must purchase at least 90 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Search on Google Flights. Find the dates on Google Flights and then follow the instructions on the “How to Buy” section below to buy.
- Recliner on American:
- 38″ legroom
- 7″ recline
- 19.5″ width
Direct Aisle Access:
- American Airlines: 2 x 4 x 2 configuration
- Japan Airlines: 2 x 4 x 2 configuration
- IAH – DFW (Dallas) – HND (Tokyo – Haneda) – BKK (Bangkok) – HND – DFW – IAH. Segments between Tokyo and Bangkok is operated by Japan Airlines.
- Japan Airlines only have Premium Economy service for its red-eye flight.
- Tokyo – Haneda to Bangkok: 12:35AM – 5:00AM
- Bangkok – Tokyo – Haneda: 9:55PM – 6:10AM
- The other Japan Airlines flight does not have Premium Economy. It is a 7 hour flight. So choose the above if you want Premium Economy seating.
- The Japan Air flight between Tokyo – Narita (NRT) and Bangkok also does not have Premium Economy.
- Miles Flown: 19,706 miles
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 29,559 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 19,706 miles
- Elite Qualifying Dollars: $3,941
- Elite Qualifying Dollars / Spend Ratio: 3.36x
Collect the miles. This is enough for GOLD Status with American Airlines, giving you one free checked bag for at least 13 months of travel.
How to Buy:
1) Select Advance Search
2) Select “Hotels dates different than flight dates”. We like this option since we basically will throw away the hotel stay and book the cheapest hotel here possible. In advance search, the options for flights are only “Economy, Business or First Class”. Pick any one of those and run your search. Flight + Hotel packages requires a minimum of 3 nights. So just make sure to pick a hotel stay with a minimum of 4 days / 3 nights.
3) On the search results page, select “Modify Search” to search again for “Premium Economy”
4) On the Modify Search screen, you will see a drop down for “Premium Economy”
5) You want to sort the search results by Price: Lowest to Highest
6) Confirm on the payment screen that you are getting a * fare. Only * fares will earn based on Distance and thus maximizing your elite qualifying dollars and mileage. If the result does not have a *, then you will only earn 3,500 miles versus 19,076. A huge difference.